Saturday, January 20, 2007

Sweet Dreams for Teens - and the Rest of Us

The other morning, as I tried to defog after a night of too much work and too few dreams, I heard sleep doctor Helene Ensellem worrying on NPR that teenagers aren't getting enough sleep.

"Teenagers?!" I yelled at the cat, my adult responsibilities weighing heavy on my eyelids. Whatever.

I cheered up when I heard Dr. Ensellem give some classic braintuning advice: Set a nightly cut-off time for all electronic devices -- except the ones that play music. "I encourage teens to listen to music at night, and make a playlist that's soothing," Emsellem says. Well done. But the doctor need not limit her wise advice to any particular age range. In a sleep-deprived nation, we should all make relaxing music de rigeur at bedtime.

Some favorites from my sleep playlist:

As for form, I part ways with Dr. Ensellem in preferring playback over speakers to a personal MP3 player. That way you can start the music while you get ready for bed, skip the logistics of earbuds, and drift off without worrying about rolling over on your iPod. Buona notte.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is actually an interesting topic:music and sleep. The data is not all there just yet, but there are certain sounds that people tend to fall asleep to more than others.

For example ocean sounds work quite well. But a steam seems to make some people have to go to the bathroom :).

As part of my insonmia program I have a relaxation and guided imagery program, but we also have a music section. On it is music developed by an Anesthesiologist who found that certain tones required less anesthesia during surgery, it was really quite amazing!

I also like your idea about not wearing ear buds to bed, and rolling over on the iPod. Smart.

Anyway, you are right that music, as least some music, seems to help people to sleep.

Elizabeth Miles said...

I'm always excited when medical doctors not only acknowledge the various powers of music, but also actively implement them in their practice. Thank you, Sleep Doctor, for your important work.