Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cold Snap

It's cold in California. A billion dollars' worth of oranges are at risk and the homeless shelters are packed with people trying to make it through the night. Canadian birds caught in the Sunshine State on their way to Mexico huddle together in cross-breed group hugs.

I have it easy, with a home and heat. Yesterday I bundled up and hiked in the foothills above Palo Alto among patches of ice, making fast progress on the frozen ground hard underfoot instead of the usual winter mudbowl. Later though, chilled, I sat blank at my computer staring at the screen. No words, no will to move. What to do?

Young Punx to the rescue! I had just enough energy before I succumbed to the numbness to navigate to the web page where this mash-up crew is giving away their mp3s for free, and download Wake Up, Make Up, Bring It Up, Shake Up. I put it on and did all that. If we're lucky, that's how we weather the winter.

No comments: