Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mix Tapes -- Where It All Began

Tune Your Brain was basically born of mix tapes. Not only did I get hooked on the power of music-mood sequencing by the mix tapes I made and received in my formative years, but I actually created the Tune Your Brain CDs by the prehistoric process of exchanging mix tapes in the mail with my collaborator at Deutsche Grammophon. The results may be digital-slick CDs with liner books and flashy art stamped on the disc, but the beginnings were old school. Conceived and created in real time with painstaking fast forward rewinding care.

So I chimed with the San Francisco Chronicle's loving coverage of the mix tape on Sunday. From a lamentation for the mix tape's demise to personal mix tape tales, book references, and links to web sites catering to mixologists of the musical type, the Chron made me miss days gone and be glad for the mixes I've made, braintuning and otherwise. I could spend hours messing around on The Art of the Mix site. Couldn't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First a little aside about semantics: I have decided that it's worthwhile to differentiate between the earworm (object) and the phenomenon of being afflicted by a musical loop, which I have named "Songstipation". Spread it around--you heard it here first.

Secondly, while the musical hallucinations that emerge from the white noise are an interesting phenomenon, I think the psychological aspects are a distant secondary matter after the really important fact that prompted by the environment of white noise etc. YOU ARE COMPOSING YOUR OWN NEW MUSIC!!!! You have linked, in that psychological environment, the oportunity and the means to let your mind "realize" musical impulses into a whole and definite product. As a musicologist you have the skills to capture it. Add "Composer" to your resume!

---Roger E. Hyde