Thursday, December 28, 2006

Merry Christmas to Me: Office Music

Christmas has come and gone and I'm back in the office, struggling with the statute of limitations. But wait, why is this good? Because I've got mad tunes! Santa brought me the Creature II speakers from JBL, a desktop set featuring a subwoofer that looks like Darth Vader's head and doling out sound so delicious the statute of limitations looks good.

Some Breakestra comes on webradio, a likely homage to the godfather of soul James Brown. The Creature brings the funky beats home and I can't write fast enough. When a track from Kind of Blue floats from my desk's far reaches I can actually feel the space between Miles Davis and John Coltrane like they're paying a visit to my office. Zen overtakes me and I read my cases with monk-like focus.

I had some desktop speakers before. They came from a big-box office store and sounded like a couple of small tin cans. I thought they were fine for the office, since it was just the office. I mean I only spend -- wait a minute -- how many hours a day here??

So here's a New Year's resolution to make: Figure out where you spend most of your waking day, then upgrade the music playback in that space. Whether it's buying new desktop speakers, rearranging the stereo to focus the sound on the right spot in the room, finally loading up your MP3 player, springing for the iPod interface for your car stereo, or just moving equipment from where you seldom use it to where you always will. Life is too short to wait 'til tonight to get your music fix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After realizing how much time I spend staring at it, I upgraded my laptop. Merry Christmas to me. I guess I need to think about my ears too, but eyes are important.